Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Day I Came ThisClose To Having Baby...

that would be yesterday. It started with going to my 2pm doc appointment. The place was packed, so I had to wait about 20 minutes.
I was called back...stop at the scale (still 1 pound under my "Daxton delivery weight") then back to the ultrasound room to measure the baby's fluid. Her heartrate was 130 (normal) and she had her arm across her face (of course).
While the tech was measuring the fluid I could tell she wasn't finding a whole lot, and I saw it said 6.6 on the screen. Yea, I knew that was low. She said the baby looked good, and when we finished she said she would be thinking of me and hoping I have the baby soon.
Off to the NST room where I was hooked up to the monitors. Sat there for a few minutes and the lady came back to check on things...said it looked like i had a contraction and did I feel it? Not really. Then she was saying how baby was looking too comfortable in there and would need a buzz to get some movement on the monitor. So, she buzzed the baby in two different spots. It startled baby, but didn't do too much, the lady said we would just wait and see how it went.
Just after she walked out, one of the other NST techs (I don't know what their job title is, so I will just go with that) came in. She didn't realize someone had just been in. She looked over the printout and said the baby was having variables in the heartrate (going down), but she said it was coming right back up. She had me turn on my side so maybe that would help out. She left for a few minutes and came back.
Sh looked at the monitor printout and said it looked like baby needed to be buzzed. I said "Again already?" She said "oh it does say you were already buzzed. Have you eaten anything recently?" I told her I had just had a candy bar before I came. She thought maybe water would help get the baby moving, so while I drank the water, she grabbed my chart to look it over.
She noticed the fluid was down from 14 on fri to 6 now on tuesday. She said that was probably the reason the baby wasn't too active (low fluid). She saw that I was 38weeks and 2days so she tells me that I will probably get sent right over. Umm...right over where??? TO THE HOSPITAL!!
WHAT?! That made me just a bit nervous!! Just a bit!
She unhooked me and sent me to the room to wait for my midwife. I had to get undressed from the waist down so I could be checked for any progress.
I sent Nick a text saying "today might be baby day."
Finally, my midwife comes in. She asked if I had been leaking any fluid. I told her that I was pretty sure I wasn't. She said she would test to make sure I wasn't. It was negative for fluid. She also checked my cervix for any progress. There was none. Still long and closed.
She told me that since my fluid level was quite low I was most likely going to the hospital. She had to talk with the on-call doc to get his opinion.
She came back in to tell me that he had STRONGLY suggested (about 4 times) that I go to the hospital, be given an IV and cervadil (sp) placed on my cervix to get it ripe for labor!
Yes, that meant I was going to be induced!!
WHOA!! I was not ready for all that on what I thought was a typical doctor visit!! She told me I was to go right over to Labor and Delivery.
Well, I didn't go RIGHT there...I stopped to get the older 2 from school daycare and fill them in on what was going on. Thank God Angela was at my house with the younger 2 and didn't have to work that night!!
So, I got to the hospital about 4:25. Of course you have to sign a bunch of papers and answer questions. The lady came in with the IV and all I could think was Nick better be here before she does that (I hate the IV!!). Luckily, he arrived just in time!
The cervidal was put in at 5:55pm. I couldn't get up to go to the bathroom for an hour. It's supposed to stay in for 12 hours.
The time was going by pretty fast...my aunt stopped by for a couple hours, so that made it go by faster. Plus I wasn't in pain, so I could talk. Nick and I went to sleep about midnight. Well, at least he did. I tried...and tried. Of course that's when contractions started. They weren't "grip the bed, I can't take it" contractions though. But they were coming 2-3 minutes apart.
The nurse came in and checked on me and was surprised to see them so consistent and said that maybe one dose of cervidal was all I would need.
I could NOT sleep, so just after 2am, she gave me a sleeping pill and I was out after that.
She came in around 6am and took out the cervidal and checked my cervix. She said it was at 1. She told me the midwife on call would come in about 7 or so and we would see what step would be taken next.
She came in just before 8.
She told me that since I wasn't active in labor, we would go have a fluid check to see if the fluid had gone up any. If it was still low, we would continue with the induction. If it was up, then I could probably go home, since I was still 2 weeks away from 40 weeks and there would really be no reason to continue the induction, since the problem would be solved.
Also, being that I was still 2 weeks away from being 40 weeks, induction time would probably take longer.
So, off to ultrasound. The fluid was now up to 10. And baby had been looking great all night on the monitors.
She told me the decision would be mine, but she recommended going home and waiting for nature to kick in or til I'm farther along to induce.
I called Nick (he had taken kids to school) and told him what was up and our choices.
We both decided that I would go home. It was somewhat a letdown, since I had accepted that I was having this baby, but at the same time...I had things to get done still!! And as long as the baby is doing well...which she is...we can wait for her arrival.
The kids were pretty bummed out (especially because Xandria was going to be spending the night at Angela's tonight, lol), but the baby will be here soon enough!!

Wow, that was alot of typing! But I wanted to have it all down :)

No comments: