Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Update on Sick Kids

Well, I ended up taking Drake and Xandria to the doctor on last friday. Drake's fever kept going up and down and he had been throwing up each time he ate. Right before we left for the doctor appointment, Xandria (who had been up the nght before crying her ear hurt) said that her ear had just "popped." So I told her to let me look at it. I pulled back her hair and there was blood coming out of her ear! Wow, that freaked me out! But I remained calm. But still SHOCKED! So, both kids off to the doctor. We wait only a few minutes and I tried to get Drake to take his coat off. Not happening! He was already crying now! Get Xandria weighed (55 lbs) and Drake wasn't down for getting on the scale. Nurse takes his temp and it was normal. Wait for the doctor. While I had to literally PRY his coat off and his shirt. That was tough!! Doctor comes in and starts to check him out while he is SCREAMING and trying to pull the doctor's fingers off of him! Not fun! Doctor looks in his throat and says it's extremely red. Listens to his breathing...he's still SCREAMING! The doctor is taking longer than usual listening to him breath which is kinda worrying me. Doctor finishes and says that he has a severe throat infection and he sounds wheezy, so he needs to have x-rays, because he could possibly have a spot pnuemonia. Wow... on to Xandria. Does the usual checking out, then looks at her ear. Doctor said it's hard for him to see very far down as there is alot of blood and some ear wax. He said she could have burst her eardrum. I told him she had told me she heard a pop...he said it's very likely then that is what has happened. He said fluid probably built up and caused that to happen. But he said 90 percent of time it will heal itself. That made me feel alot better. She was given medicine and has to go back in a week. After that off to x-ray. I didn't know what that would be like since I've never had to deal with x-rays before...I just knew it wasn't going to be easy with how freaked out he already was! Got in the room...had to remove his shirt and shoes. Then they show me the chair type thing he has to be strapped in! It looked like a torture device to me!! His legs dangle down and his arms are placed in to plastic things that stick straight up. The really tough part was that I couldn't be with him in that part because I'm pregnant. I had to listed to him SCREAMING and crying "MOM!" over and over while they took the x-rays. I couldn't stand it and was in the little room crying myself. Thankfully, it didn't take long and they got good pictures the first time. It was one of the toughest things for me though. We got the results and thak God there was nothing on them and he was fine. He was given medication and wasn't able to eat food for 24 hours...which was a little tough for the last half! So, he also has to go back in a week. Xandria has had some bloody drainage from her ear, but not much else. And Drake is back to his goofball self. Very thankful. I will post pics later from MY doctor appointment today later...

No comments: